• Polegate Town Council

    • Wealden weekly update 6/7/20

    • Friday, 3 July 2020


      News and appeals
       

      Identity appeal after woman assaulted in Hailsham


      Police investigating a report of an assault in Hailsham are appealing to idenitfy this man.
      About 5pm on Monday (22 June) a woman, who walks with the aid of a stick, was allegedly assaulted whilst buying an ice cream from an ice cream van in Lindfield Drive.

      It is thought the man pictured may be able to assist with police enquiries and officers are keen to speak to him. 

      He is described as aged 35-45 years, of a medium build with dark hair and a beard. He spoke with an Eastern European accent and was riding a powered pedal cycle. He is believed to have been accompanied by a woman and two children, all on bicycles.

      Detective Constable Chris Perry said: "This was an attack on a woman with clear disabilities in broad daylight. I am extremely anxious to speak to this man as soon as possible as we think he can assist with our investigation. I urge him to come forward."

      Anyone with information or who recognises the man pictured is asked to report online or call 101 and quote  47200102739.


       

      Police set to launch summer crackdown on drink and drug-drivers


      Police are set to launch a summer crackdown on drink and drug-drivers in Surrey and Sussex.
      The two-week campaign aims to educate motorists about the dangers of driving under the influence, and to target offenders who pose a risk to themselves and other road users.

      While officers routinely respond to reports of drink and drug-driving 365 days a year, patrols will be increased across the counties from 29 June to 13 July.

      The campaign also coincides with the National Police Chiefs’ Council’s seatbelt operation, aimed to raise awareness of the potentially devastating consequences of not belting up in a vehicle.

      You can read more about the seatbelt campaign here.

      Chief Inspector Michael Hodder, of the Surrey and Sussex Roads Policing Unit, said: “Our priority is to keep everyone as safe as possible on our roads, and to deal robustly with anyone who compromises the safety of themselves or anyone else.

      “Much of this is down to education and enforcement of the ‘fatal four’ offences – speeding, drink and drug-driving, mobile phone use and not wearing a seatbelt. These are the four most common causes of fatal and seriously injury collisions on our roads.

      “I’m sure people will have heard me warn them about these dangers before, but the message remains the same as I am committed to saving lives. Drink and drug-driving destroys lives, it’s as simple as that.

      “While the vast majority of motorists drive safely and responsibly, there continues to be a small minority who think they are above the law. Whether you “feel fine” or were “just around the corner”, we’ve heard every excuse in the book. But there’s no excuse for ever driving under the influence of drink or drugs.”

      Last year in Sussex, a total of 289 crashes involving a drink-driver resulted in one or more persons being injured. Of these, four were fatal.

      Chief Insp Hodder said: “These are statistics which are wholly avoidable. By choosing to drink-drive, you are choosing to put your life – and the lives of other innocent road users – at risk.

      “We’ll continue to proactively patrol our counties’ roads and respond to reports of drink and drug-drivers when we receive them. We can’t be everywhere, but we could be anywhere.
      “Think carefully before you make your next journey. It could be your last.”

      Sussex Police & Crime Commissioner Katy Bourne said: “I am always dismayed by the number of people who choose to get behind the wheel of their vehicle when they are under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs. This is totally irresponsible and potentially life-threatening behaviour.

      “Those who are caught over the limit should be in no doubt that they will face the legal and social consequences of their actions, which could mean, fines, imprisonment, losing their licence and their livelihoods.”

      Anyone caught and convicted as part of the summer 2020 crackdown will be identified on the Sussex Police news website and social media pages.

      The consequences of drink or drug-driving could include the following:

      A minimum 12 month ban;

      An unlimited fine;

      A possible prison sentence;

      A criminal record, which could affect your current and future employment;

      An increase in your car insurance;

      Trouble travelling to countries such as the USA;

      You could also kill or seriously injure yourself or someone else.

      The drink and drug-driving campaign is being run in conjunction with partners including

      Sussex Safer Roads Partnership and DriveSmart in Surrey.

      People in Sussex can text officers on 65999 with the details of people they suspect of drink or drug-driving, or visit the Operation Crackdown website. 

      You can also contact the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or report it online. 

      If you know someone is driving while over the limit or after taking drugs, call 999.

      Dispersal Orders Issued Across The County


      In the past week we have received reports of large gatherings and anti-social behaviour across the county.

      Following these incidents dispersal orders have been put in place where needed. We are asking the residents and visitors in Sussex to take responsibility and to consider the potential impact on others when leaving home.

      We understand that it has been a difficult time for everyone, particularly young people who have been unable to visit their friends in the way they areused to, but the coronavirus regulations are still in place and they are there to protect everybody and save lives.

      If you are a parent or guardian, please remind those in your care to be considerate of others who may still health concerns and for themselves to remain safe.

      Things to remember:

      The virus is still here

      Personal responsibility for potentially infecting others

      Being respectful of people and property

      Consideration for those at high risk and vulnerable

      Please call us on 101 if you see anything you are concerned about, including any suspicious behaviour, anti-social behaviour or significant gatherings.


       

      Sussex Police’s Tactical Enforcement Units (TEUs) continuing to disrupt, enforce and protect


      Sussex Police’s Tactical Enforcement Units (TEUs) have been busy making arrests, disrupting criminals and protecting victims over the last month.

      The TEU is a proactive police unit, which was set up in December last year to target Sussex’s most prolific offenders.

      Working with Hastings Prevention team officers, the TEU carried out a drug warrant at a flat in St Leonards and seized a large quantity of heroin, crack cocaine and cannabis worth more than £20,000 along with £1,500 in cash and phones.

      Four people at the address were arrested, a 35-year-old man who was detained on suspicion of being concerned in the supply of crack cocaine and heroin and was wanted on a warrant, a 25-year-old man who was arrested on suspicion of being concerned in the supply of class A drugs and a 18-year-old man and a 42-year-old woman who were arrested on suspicion of possession with intent to supply class A drugs. They have all been released on bail until 5 July.

      They also carried out two separate drugs warrants in Brighton – one in Auckland Drive where a 31-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of being concerned in the supply of class A drugs, possession of cannabis, a domestic assault and an assault. The team discovered several bags of white powder, cash and mobile phones. He was later released under investigation pending more enquiries.

      The other warrant was in Stonecross Road where the team carried out a warrant where a man and a woman were arrested on suspicion of supplying cannabis. Drugs, cash and weapons including flick knives were seized. A man aged 20 and a woman aged 44 were later released under investigation.

      The West Sussex TEU team which was launched at the end of May to cover the West Sussex division has also been busy carrying out warrants and making an arrests.

      Two officers in the team stopped a car in Worthing. When they searched the vehicle they found £10,000 cash and class A drugs. The driver and passenger, were arrested and the team along with officers from Worthing Prevention and newly recruited officers with their coaching unit carried out further searches at addresses in Worthing and seized a further £50,000 cash and a large amount of cannabis, cocaine and amphetamine.

      A 55-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of handling stolen goods, a 32-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of possession with intent to supply a class A drug, a 51-year-old woman was arrested on suspicion of being concerned in the supply of cocaine and a 59-year-old woman was arrested on suspicion of money laundering. They have all been released under investigation.

      They carried out a search warrant at a home in Littlehampton and found a large quantity of stolen building equipment, power tools, tools, garden ornaments and other property. A 44-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of theft and released on bail until the 17 July.  

       ​The teams are made up of eight PCs, and a Sergeant. The TEU will then expand again in July with dedicated teams in Brighton and Hove and East Sussex divisions.

      Inspector Dan Hiles, who is leading the TEU, said: "The TEU has been created to disrupt, enforce and protect and that’s what the teams have been doing. The first TEU team which was set up at the end of December made 19 arrests, carried out 91 stop and searches targeting serious and organised criminals and created 75 intelligence reports in May alone.

      “There is no officer who enjoys the idea of a criminal evading justice. The unit was set up to target exactly those people, while helping to keep communities safe." 


       

      Jo Shiner announced as the new Chief Constable of Sussex


      “I am incredibly proud and privileged to have been given the opportunity to lead Sussex Police over the next five years,” said Jo Shiner on being appointed the next Chief Constable of Sussex Police.

      Jo takes up the post on July 11, becoming the first ever woman to lead the force, following a unanimous decision by the Police and Crime Panel to approve the appointment by Katy Bourne, Sussex Police and Crime Commissioner.

      She said: “During my 18 months as Deputy Chief Constable I have experienced the hard work and dedication of all frontline colleagues and those supporting them. They police with pride and professionalism to keep the public safe every day.

      “They are achieving phenomenal results every single day, preventing crime, making arrests and often putting themselves in danger as they go that extra mile to protect our communities.
      “Going forward I have set out a set of clear priorities that will underpin what we do:

      • Protect our communities
      • Catch criminals 
      • Deliver an outstanding service to victims and witnesses and the wider public
      “The last few months have been a test for everybody and have highlighted the importance of the relationship between the police, partners and public.

      “In summary it is about listening to our communities; it’s making sure that our frontline are properly skilled, briefed and supported by the whole policing family, including our special constables and our volunteers. It’s about ensuring that we are delivering the right resources and working closely with our partners to keep people safe.”

      Jo added: “In protecting our communities we are committed to identifying, understanding and listening to all of our communities, whether that’s our rural communities, our business communities, our online communities or those coming into the county and leaving again.

      “Throughout all, prevention is vital. I would much sooner invest in preventing somebody becoming a victim of crime than deal with them once they have become a victim. Having an operational background, I have worked with enforcement teams, community safety partners, prevention teams and wider partners, so I greatly value partnership working. I feel there are very few circumstances or crimes now where policing is the single answer.

      “As the National Policing Lead for Children and Young People, it’s really important to me that we don’t unnecessarily criminalise young people when they have their whole future ahead of them. However, I wouldn’t want that to be taken as us not taking action when we need to. But we do need to help educate young people to make the right choices for themselves. Again, this is not something we can do alone.

      “Catching criminals is absolutely key to protecting our communities and we will continue to make sure that Sussex is an environment in which criminals cannot thrive. We will continue to develop the resources, the skills, the capacity and capability to catch them and bring them to justice. That in itself improves outcomes for victims and it also empowers my officers and others to do exactly what they joined to do.

      “I am determined that we will deliver an outstanding service to victims and witnesses, because there is no doubt that it is communities that catch criminals in partnership with the police.
      “Often, it is information from the communities given to police or the intelligence services that has led to convictions and arrests; and the only way in which we can do that is to make sure we have the public’s confidence and the confidence of those communities to actually talk to us in the first place.”

      Recent improvements, largely due to council tax precept investment and other funding have enabled the force to create new and effective teams to improve outcomes. These include the Tactical Enforcement Units, rural policing crime teams, greater prevention teams, and administrative support for investigators so they can focus on investigating crimes where people are most at risk.

      Jo said: “I am absolutely clear and confident that having seen how hard, how diligently and how professionally everyone within Sussex Police works, we can deliver an outstanding service in all that we do.”

      Commenting on the confirmation hearing, Sussex Police and Crime Commissioner Katy Bourne said: “I am delighted that the Panel has supported my decision to appoint Jo Shiner as the next Chief Constable of Sussex.

      “Chief Constable Shiner clearly and professionally demonstrated her skills and capabilities at the confirmation hearing. She outlined her exciting plans for Sussex Police, focusing on tougher enforcement and more proactive, visible policing.

      “She has pledged to make Sussex Police tougher on tackling criminality and even more supportive to victims of crime; and to put more officers out on the beat engaging with residents and visitors in our city, towns and villages.

      “I have every confidence in her to lead our expanding force into the future and I look forward to working closely with her and her senior team to deliver a top-quality policing service to our residents.”

      Councillor Bill Bentley, chairman of the Sussex Police and Crime Panel, said: “This is a challenging time for a new chief constable to take post and the panel was reassured that Jo is both intending to raise Sussex Police’s public profile through her personal leadership and will target increasing the quality of policing in Sussex to outstanding. These actions will provide reassurance to the public, both during the current public health emergency and for the medium-term development of policing and victim support.”



       


      Crime summary

      A burglary occurred on High Street, Uckfield between 27/06/2020 – 28/06/2020 whereby a garage was entered and tools stolen from within (Ref: 47200106347)

      A burglary occurred on Station Road, Hailsham between 28/06/2020 – 29/06/2020 whereby a flat was entered and cash stolen from within (Ref: 47200106761)

      A burglary occurred on 29/06/2020 on Farmlands Way, Polegate, whereby a garage was entered and various items stolen from within (Ref: 47200106858)

      An attempted burglary occurred on Whitehill Road, Crowborough, on 29/06/2020 whereby an attempt was made to break into a shop, luckily no items were stolen (Ref: 47200107190)

       


      Help us keep Sussex safe

      If you saw or heard anything, or have any information about any incident in this message please contact us online, email us at 101@sussex.pnn.police.uk or call 101, quoting the reference number provided.

      Alternatively you can contact the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111, or online at www.crimestoppers-uk.org
       


      Links and attachments: Sussex Police will only ever link you to secure Websites we trust. We will only send you attachments where we believe it is absolutely necessary.